Between 1894 and 1933 Ham was an urban district in Surrey. In 1933 the urban district was abolished and the land was divided between the municipal boroughs of Kingston upon Thames and Richmond with Richmond receiving by far the major share.
Ham is located 9.25 miles (14.89 km) southwest of the centre of London. Together with neighbouring Petersham, Ham lies east of a bend in the river which almost surrounds it. It is 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Richmond and 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Kingston upon Thames.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ham, London. The section entitled History mentions the civil parish of Ham with Hatch and the hamlet of Hatch which existed in the 19th century.