Handforth is a suburban area between Wilmslow, Heald Green and Styal in Cheshire, England. In the 1960s and 1970s, two overspill housing estates, Spath Lane and Colshaw Farm, were built in the area to re-house people from inner city Manchester.
Until 1877 it was part of Handforth-with-Bosden. The two parishes became part of the Stockport Rural District from 1894 until 1904 when Handforth became an urban district. In 1936 it was incorporated into the parishes of Wilmslow and Cheadle and Gatley.
Wilmslow and its neighbouring villages, including Handforth, successfully objected from being part of the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester when it was formed in 1974. From 1974 until the 2009 structural changes to local government in England, Handforth was administered by the Macclesfield Borough Council and Cheshire County Council. On 1 April 2009 it became part of the Cheshire East unitary authority.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Handforth. There is a long section on its history.