- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Halton is a village and civil parish in the southern part of Northumberland, England. It is situated a few miles north of Corbridge just south of Hadrian's Wall.
Halton Castle is a pele tower and grade I listed building.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Halton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HALTON, a township and a chapelry in Corbridge parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the Roman wall, adjacent to Watling street, 5 miles NE of Hexham. Acres: 798. Population: 45. Houses: 8. Halton Castle, ½ a mile S of the Roman wall, belonged to the Haltons; passed to the Carnabys; belongs now to Sir E. Blackett; consists chiefly of stones taken from Roman buildings; and is a massive square tower, with corner turrets. A Jacobean farm house is attached to it; and has some Roman mouldings and a weathered sculpture, which probably was part of a sepulchral slab. A small old church is near the castle, and appears, like the castle, to have been built chiefly of Roman stones. Halton-Chesters, on the Roman wall, was the station Hunnum, occupied by the Ala Sabiniana; comprised an area of 4¼ acres; but is now so obliterated that even an antiquary who has not been forewarned, might pass through it without recognising it; yet, so late as 1827, when the last portion of it was subjected to the plough, was found to contain numerous substructions of very careful masonry.
- "The chapelry includes also Halton-Shields township, and is annexed to the vicarage of Corbridge in the diocese of Durham."
Halton was a township in the ancient parish of Corbridge. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Whittington.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.