|Name||Hale (near Altrincham)|
|Alt names||Ashley Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Castle Hill by Hale||source: hamlet in parish|
|Etrop Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Oakfield||source: hamlet in parish|
|Warburton Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Well Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hale||source: alternate placename|
|Type||Township, Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Greater Manchester, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Bowdon, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1900|
|Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England||metropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another place named Hale (near Widnes) which was formerly in Lancashire and is now located on the western boundary of Cheshire and in the Borough of Halton.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hale has been since 1974 a village and electoral ward within the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, in Greater Manchester, England. It is contiguous with the southeast of Altrincham, about 9 miles (14 km) southwest of the city of Manchester.
The earliest documented reference to Hale is in the Domesday Book of 1086, although the name of the settlement is probably as old as 7th or 8th century. The area was mostly agricultural. Hale grew in the Middle Ages to the point when Hale Barns was established as a separate settlement.
Hale was in Cheshire until 1974. During its time in Cheshire it was in the Bucklow Registration District from 1837 until 1930; and in Bucklow Rural District from 1894 until 1900 when it was made an Urban District.
Hale was a township in Bowdon ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Ashley Heath, Castle Hill by Hale, Etrop Green, Oakfield, Warburton Green, and Well Green. The population was 783 in 1801, 1,164 in 1851, 4,562 in 1901, 12,152 in 1951, and 15,316 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
- Trafford Local Studies Centre holds the records of earlier municipalities in the area.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Hale (near Altrincham), Cheshire, England | Bowdon, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Greater Manchester, England | Trafford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England