Place:Gunthorpe, Rutland, England

Watchers


NameGunthorpe
TypeVillage
Located inRutland, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Gunthorpe is a civil parish and a hamlet in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England.

The population of Gunthorpe grew to several hundred before being devastated by the plague which ravaged Great Britain and much of Europe from 1347 to 1351. Today, Gunthorpe remains as one of Rutland's smallest inhabited hamlets, with just 10 houses and 16 residents. Despite being dissected by the railway and the main Oakham to Uppingham A6003 road, the tiny hamlet of Gunthorpe remains a lively idyll, which typifies the agricultural heart of the county of Rutland. Set in the rolling hills adjoining the River Gwash, approximately 2½ miles south of Oakham and on the western shores of Rutland Water, Gunthorpe has several footpaths and bridleways which offer some of the County's most enjoyable, all-year round views.

The estate was sold by the Earl of Ancaster to Charles Harvey Dixon in 1906.

Gunthorpe's oldest surviving building was built circa 1840. Now a farmhouse, the Durham Ox Inn was a popular haunt of the navvies and labourers engaged in the construction of part of the railway which became known as the London Midland and Scottish Railway, running between Kettering and Oakham from the mid 19th Century and to this day.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gunthorpe, Rutland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.