Place:Graveney, Kent, England

Watchers
NameGraveney
Alt namesGravenelsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 147
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.317°N 0.95°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoBoughton under Blean Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Faversham Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1934
Swale Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1934-1974
Swale District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Graveney is a relatively small (population 490 in 2011 UK census) but widely dispersed village located between Faversham and Whitstable in Kent, England. The main part of the village is located along the intersection of Seasalter Road, Sandbanks Road and Head Hill Road (at the railway crossing), which is surrounded by farmland. The rest of the village is dispersed amongst this farmland.

All Saints Church, Graveney, was constructed in Norman times (11th and 12th centuries), but it is mainly 14th century.

Graveney was originally an ancient parish in the Boughton under Blean Hundred. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of the Faversham Rural District. In 1934 Faversham Rural District was abolished and its parishes were transferred to Swale Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Swale District.

When the rural district was altered in 1934, part of Graveney was absorbed into Whitstable and a portion of the Boughton under Blean parish was transferred to Graveney.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Graveney from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"GRAVENEY, a parish in Faversham [registration] district, Kent; on the North Kent railway, and thence to the river Swale, 2 miles ENE of Faversham. Post town: Faversham. Acres: 3,722; of which 1,720 are water. Real property: £ 4,536; of which £10 are in fisheries. Population: 234. Houses: 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, from 811, to the Archbishops of Canterbury; and finured, at Domesday, as theirs. The living is a vicarage, united to the vicarage of Goodnestone, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is early English, with interesting features; and has a decorated English altar tomb, and a very fine brass of 1436. Charities, £11."

Part of Graveney was absorbed into Whitstable in 1934.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
  • Kent had five family history societies (now only four):