Place:Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

Alt namesGrahamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 170
Grandhamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 170
Granhamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 170
TypeTown, Borough (municipal)
Coordinates52.9°N 0.633°W
Located inLincolnshire, England
Also located inKesteven, England     (1889 - 1974)
See alsoSouth Kesteven District, Lincolnshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Grantham is a market town within the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It bestrides the London to Edinburgh East Coast Main Line railway and the River Witham, and is bounded to the west by the A1 main north-south road.

Grantham is about 26 miles (42 km) south of the city and county town of Lincoln, and about 24 miles (39 km) east of the city of Nottingham. The resident population at the 2001 UK Census was 34,592 in about 18,000 households. This figure excludes the adjacent village of Great Gonerby.

The town is best known as the birthplace of former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, and the place where Isaac Newton went to school, at The King's School. It is close to an ancient Roman road, and was the scene of Oliver Cromwell's first advantage over Royalists during the English Civil War at Gonerby Moor. Grantham is also notable for having the first female police officers in the United Kingdom, notably Edith Smith in 1914, producing the first running diesel engine in 1892, and the UK's first tractor in 1896.

Grantham was an ancient parish with its church dedicated to Saint Wulfram. Registers exist from 1562. A later church, dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist has registers from 1842. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel and chapels of other denominations. (Source: GENUKI)

In 1909 Grantham absorbed the civil parishes of Harrowby Within and Little Gonerby in their entirety. Other former townships and parishes (Manthorpe cum Little Gonerby, Sapperton, Spittlegate and Barrowby) have all been partially absorbed into the town.

Research Tips

Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.

There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.

From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.

  • Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
  • GENUKI's page on Lincolnshire's Archive Service gives addresses, phone numbers, webpages for all archive offices, museums and libraries in Lincolnshire which may store old records and also presents a list entitled "Hints for the new researcher" which may include details of which you are not aware. These suggestions are becoming more and more outdated, but there's no telling what may be expected in a small library.
  • GENUKI also has pages of information on individual parishes, particularly ecclesiastical parishes. The author may just come up with morsels not supplied in other internet-available sources.
  • Deceased Online now has records for 11 cemeteries and two crematoria in Lincolnshire. This includes Grimsby's Scartho Road cemetery, Scartho Road crematorium, and Cleethorpes cemetery, council records for the City of Lincoln and Gainsborough, and older church records from The National Archives for St Michael's in Stamford, and St Mark's in Lincoln, dating back to 1707. This is a pay website.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Grantham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.