A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Spittlegate from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Spittlegate was a township and then a civil parish on the southern border of the town of Grantham, Lincolnshire, from 1866 until 1894 when it was split into two civil parishes: Spittlegate Within and Spittlegate Without. Spittlegate Within is normally listed as Spitalgate, covers about 580 acres and includes most of the area created for the ecclesiastical parish in 1842. It included the R. Hornsby and Sons, Ltd., founded in 1815, one of the largest manufacturers of agricultural machinery and implements. It also included the Perserverance Iron Works, a brewery, a corn mill and brickyard. Spittlegate Without lay beyond the municipality and covered about 1,680 acres. (Source: GENUKI)
The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist and the registers start with the dedication of the church in 1842. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel on Commercial Road (originally on Bridge End road, erected 1875). (Source: GENUKI)
RAF Spitalgate, formerly known as RFC Station Grantham and RAF Station Grantham, was a Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force station, located 2 mi (3.2 km) south east of the centre of Grantham, Lincolnshire, England fronting onto the main A52 road. The station opened in 1915 as Royal Flying Corps Station Grantham, becoming RAF Station Grantham on 1 April 1918 - a name it bore until 1942 when it was renamed as RAF Station Spitalgate. RAF Station Spitalgate continued as a Royal Air Force base with various specialities until 1975. (Source: Wikipedia)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.