Fulbeck is a small village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A607 road, 9 miles (14 km) north from Grantham and 8 miles (13 km) north-west from Sleaford. To the north is Leadenham, and to the south, Caythorpe.
Fulbeck Grade I listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Nicholas. Originating from the 10th century, there were further additions and changes up to the 18th. It was then totally restored in 1888, retaining a variety of styles from Norman to Perpendicular, and a Transitional-Norman font. The tower has eight crocketed pinnacles, and within the church are many monuments to the Fane family of Fulbeck Hall.
In 1885 Kelly's Directory recorded that the chief crops grown in the area were wheat, barley, seeds and turnips, and that the village had both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
RAF Fulbeck was used from October 1944 until the end of the war by two Lancaster squadrons, one of which was 189 Squadron.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Fulbeck. There is a description of the Fane family who have lived at Fulbeck Hall since 1632. It was first purchased in 1622 by Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland (who also had other titles).
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.