Leadenham is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It lies 11 miles (18 km) north from Grantham, on the A607 between Welbourn and Fulbeck, and at the southern edge of the Lincoln Cliff. The population was 385 in the UK census of 2001.
Much of the village belonged to the Reeve family whose family seat is still Leadenham House, a Georgian country house built from 1790 for William Reeve.
The Royal Flying Corps airfield to the east was built in 1916, and closed in 1919.
Leadenham Anglican church is dedicated to St Swithun; it originated in the 13th century and is in Decorated style.
Leadenham was one of three civil parishes that went to North Kesteven Rural District in 1931. The remainder went to East Kesteven Rural District. (See Ordnance Survey Map of Lincolnshire revised 1937)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.