Place:Foxcote, Somerset, England

Alt namesForscotesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Village
Coordinates51.298°N 2.407°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoWellow Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Frome Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which Foxcote situated 1894-1933
Hemington, Somerset, Englandcivil parish in which Foxcote located since 1933
Mendip, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district covering the area since 1974

Foxcote is a very small village located since 1933 in the civil parish of Hemington. The village is east of Shoscombe, about 8 miles (13 km) miles southwest from Bath, and 6 miles (10 km) miles northwest of Frome.

Prior to 1933 Foxcote was in the Frome Rural District and in ancient times part of the Wellow Hundred.


Historic Descriptions

1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood

FORSCOTT — a parish in the hundred of Wellow, 8 miles N.W. from Frome; containing 10 inhabited houses, and as many families, the whole of whom are employed in agriculture. A small rivulet runs through this parish, under a stone bridge, and pursues its course to the river Avon, by Wellow, turning several mills in its way. The church is a small neat edifice, dedicated to St. James, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower at the west end im which are two bells. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome 5 Rev. Israel Lewis, incumbent; instituted 1806. Population, 1801, 100 — 1811, 129 — 1821, 115.

1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly

FOXCOTE (or FORSCOTE) is a parish and small village, 7 miles south-west from Bath, 7 north-west from Frome, and 2 north-east from Radstock railway stations, in the Eastern division of the county, western division of Wellow hundred, union and county court district of Frome, rural deanery of Frome, archdeaconry of Wells, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on a stream which divides the parish from Wellow. The church of St. James has a small ancient tower with four pinnacles and the rest of the building modern, and consists of a chancel and nave. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a rectory, £105 tithe rent-charge, with residence and 40 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir J. Henry Greville Smyth, hart., and held by the Rev. Alfred Odell Elwell, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Sir John Henry Greville Smyth, bart., is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. A corn mill stands on the small stream that runs through the village. There is an abundance of coal here, which is worked by a company. The soil is a yellow clay, lying on the inferior oolite, under which is bastard freestone. The crops are the usual cereals. The area is 580 acres; rateable value, £842; and the population in 1871 was 64.

1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade

Foxcote (or Forscote) is a small hamlet 2 m. E.N.E. of Radstock. The church is modern, with the exception of the tower.

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s

Picture Gallery

St. James the Less, Foxcote
St. James the Less, Foxcote