1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood
HEMINGTON—a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, 6 miles N.W. from Frome ; containing 72 inhabited houses, and as many families, 65 of whom are employed in agriculture. Northeast from the village is a place called High-Church, formerly a considerable hamlet, and the site of the original parish church ; it is now depopulated, having only one house remaining, called High-Church Farm. The church consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle, with a tower at the west end. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome, united with Hardington ; Rev. C.M. Bampfyld, incumbent; instituted 1814. Population, 18O1, 357 — 1811, 339 — 1821, 323.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
HEMINGTON is a large parish and village, 121 miles from London, 4 west from Radstock station, and 5½ northwest from Frome railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Kilmersdon hundred, Frome union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, restored in 1859, under the superintendence of Sir G. G. Scott, at a cost of £700, raised by a voluntary rate: during the restoration a very fine Norman arch was discovered at the entrance to the chancel; the church consists of chancel, with vestry on the north, nave, transept, and south aisle, which is divided from the body of the church by four fine arches resting on I circular piers, the eastern end having been a private chapel, but is now the organ chamber, and a quadrangular embattled tower, in the Perpendicular style, containing 5 bells, 1 south entrance porch, the arch resting on caps, supported by Purbeck marble shafts, with carved capitals: in 1862 the chancel was restored at the cost of the rector. The register dates from the reign of Henry VIII. The living is a rectory, with Hardington annexed, joint yearly value £641, with residence and 79 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Poltimore, and held by the Rev. Charles John Down, E.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. A new school for boys and girls has recently been erected by subscription. There are charities of £20 yearly, left in 1694 by the Bampfylde family, to be distributed amongst the poor at Christmas; and Mr. Vigor, about 100 years since, gave 25s. for the distribution of bread at Christmas. Walter C. Vallis, esq., is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Hylton, W. C. Vallis, esq., Inman brothers, of Bath, and the Rev. Charles Peacock. The soil is heavy clay. The land is chiefly in pasture for dairy purposes. The area is 3,406 acres; rateable value, £3,925; and the population in 1871 was 504.
FAUKLAND is a hamlet, a mile and a quarter northeast from the church, where there is a Wesleyan chapel, and a school for boys and girls. LOWER ROW is another hamlet, 2½ miles south-east from Fauklaud, where there is a Baptist chapel.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Hemington, a village lying at the end of a wide vale, 3 m. E.S.E. from Radstock. The church has a few features in common with the neighbouring church of Buckland Denham, viz., (1) peculiar arrangement of windows in tower, (2) clerestory to nave, though the building possesses only one aisle. The interior shows (a) some good Dec. work in windows, some of which have foliated rear arches, with detached shaft; (b) plain Norm. chancel arch. Observe also (1) piscina on the respond of the chancel arcade, (2) the central pier of the arcade (it is surrounded by four detached shafts). On the hill above the village, standing by the side of the Trowbridge road, is a square tower of as much beauty as utility, locally known as "Turner's Folly." The "green" of the neighbouring hamlet of Falkland retains its ancient stocks.
Family History Library