- source: Family History Library Catalog
Ford was a township in the parish of Bishopwearmouth in County Durham. Although the township was called Ford, the village is called South Hylton. When a chapel was established there, the chaperly took the named of the village (South Hylton), not the township (Ford). Therefore, census records and civil matters normally refer to the area as Ford, whilst church records describe it as South Hylton. Ford was made a separate civil parish from Bishopwearmouth in 1866. It was abolished as a civil parish in 1967, being absorbed into the town (later city) of Sunderland.