Enfield was a local government district in Middlesex, England from 1850 to 1965.
The parish of Enfield adopted the Public Health Act 1848 in 1850, and formed a local board of health of 12 members to govern the area. The local board's area was reconstituted by the Local Government Act 1894, and became Enfield Urban District. Enfield Urban District Council replaced the local board, and was divided into four wards: "Town", "Chase & Bull's Cross", "Ordnance" and "Green Street & Ponders End". In 1909 two new wards, "Bush Park" and "Hadley Wood & Cockfosters" were formed.
The urban district council successfully petitioned for a charter of incorporation in 1955, becoming a municipal borough. The municipal borough was divided into ten wards: "Bush Hill Park", "Cambridge Road", "Chase", "Enfield Wash", "Green Street", "Ordnance, Ponders End", "Town", "West", "and Willow".
The borough was abolished under the London Government Act 1963 and was merged with the Municipal Borough of Southgate and the Municipal Borough of Edmonton to form the London Borough of Enfield in Greater London on 1 April 1965.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Enfield from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887: