|Alt names||Elstree and Borehamwood||source: present-day name of the civil parish|
|Green Street||source: settlement in parish|
|Idlestree||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Hertfordshire, England|
|See also||Cashio Hundred, Hertfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Barnet Rural, Hertfordshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1941|
|Elstree Rural, Hertfordshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1941-1974|
|Hertsmere District, Hertfordshire, England||district municipality covering part of the area since 1974|
|Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England||town within the former parish of Elstree|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Elstree is a village now in the Hertsmere District or Borough of Hertfordshire, England, on the road formerly known as the A5, which followed the course of Roman Watling Street, approximately thirteen miles northwest of London.
Prior to the formation of Hertsmere District, Elstree was a civil parish in Elstree Rural District (1935-1974) and before that a civil parish in Barnet Rural District (1894-1935). Its largest settlement was Borehamwood which is now a large urban area just outside Greater London. Since 1974 Elstree civil parish has been renamed Elstree and Borehamwood and Elstree is the name of one of its four wards. In the 2011 UK census, that ward's population was 5,110.
The village often lends its shorter name to businesses and amenities in the adjacent town of Borehamwood, and the names of Elstree and Borehamwood tend to be used interchangeably.
See also Borehamwood which, by population, is more than six times larger than modern-day Elstree.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elstree from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ELSTREE, or Idlestree, a parish in the [registration] district of Barnet and county of Hertford; and a village partly in this parish and partly in the Middlesex parishes of Little Stanmore and Edgware. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3 miles NNW of Edgware; and has a Post office designated Elstree, Herts, and a railway station. The parish comprises 1,370 acres. Real property: £3,761. Population: 402. Houses: 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Albans; and passed to the Denings, the Briscoes, and the Byngs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £304. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good and handsome; and has a modern tower and spire. The remains of William Weare, who was murdered in 1823 by Thurtell, Probert, and Hunt, lie in the churchyard. Charities, £28."
Categories: Hertfordshire, England | Elstree, Hertfordshire, England | Cashio Hundred, Hertfordshire, England | Barnet Rural, Hertfordshire, England | Elstree Rural, Hertfordshire, England | Hertsmere District, Hertfordshire, England