Stone cum Ebony is a large mostly rural and marshland civil parish centred 7 miles (11 km) SSW of Ashford in southeast Kent, England. It includes the village of Stone-in-Oxney and tiny community of Ebony (both redirected here). The civil parish population was 460 in the UK census of 2011.
The parish was formed in 1894 from the former civil parishes of Stone in Oxney and part of the small parish of Ebony to its northwest. Stone cum Ebony is southeast of Tenterden and stands mostly slightly elevated on the eastern side of the Isle of Oxney. The far north of the parish is marked by a small tributary of the Rother. The built-up community is one long street lined with houses and other buildings.
Being almost flat and rectangular in area, the current bounds of the parish are those reflecting the centuries-old church parish boundaries: the southeast boundary is the Royal Military Canal which helps to drain what was otherwise an almost impenetrable marsh. The west of the parish reaches to include about a quarter of Wittersham village centre.
The village is 11 miles (18 km) southeast of Tenterden, and stands in a position on the eastern side of the Isle of Oxney. The stone that gives the village its name is preserved in the village church, and is of Roman origin. Often thought to be an altar of Mithras, it in fact depicts Apis.
Ebony is a hamlet south of Ashford on the southern edge of Tenterden. Ebony was formerly an island surrounded by marsh and the tidal waters of the river Rother. At the top of the most prominent part of the high ground, known as Chapel Bank, is the churchyard of the original Ebony Church, St Mary the Virgin. After lightning and fire, the remains of the church, built of local ragstone, were moved by the Victorians in 1858 to the present location at nearby Reading Street, and restored. It has been suggested that references to King Alfred's base at 'Ebonia' (Evania) in the Annals of Roger de Hoveden may refer to the strategically-situated Ebony in the marshlands of the South Coast, rather than to the Isle of Man or Hebrides. The fact that the church at Ebony was of Saxon foundation has been cited in support for this hypothesis; however there is no evidence for a 9th century date and the earliest reference is from 1070.
The civil parish of Ebony was abolished in 1894 and split between Tenterden and the newly-formed parish of Stone cum Ebony. Originally it was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Appledore and part of the Oxney Hundred.