|Alt names||Apeldres||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 146|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tenterden Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Ashford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Appledore is a village and civil parish in the Ashford District of Kent, England . The village centre is on the northern edge of the Romney Marsh, 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Ashford town. The northerly part of this village is Appledore Heath.
Appledore was originally an ancient parish in the Blackbourne Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Tenterden Rural District. The population, according to the UK census of 2011, was 749.
Appledore was once a port on the estuary of the River Rother. Famously, the greater part of the Danish army (280 ships - 5000 men) wintered at Appledore in 892-893, before moving into Wessex and suffering defeat at the hands of the Saxons led by King Alfred's son Edward the Elder at Farnham in Surrey. The defeated Danes fell back to Benfleet in Essex where they were again defeated in battle. The importance of Appledore as a port diminished suddenly in the 13th-century when great storms caused the river Rother to change its course; the village street now leads down to the Royal Military Canal. A French raid in 1380 resulted in the burning of the church; it was later rebuilt. The village was permitted to hold a market in the main street by Edward II. In 1804, when there was threat of invasion by Napoleon the Royal Military Canal was built: Appledore stands on its northern bank. The Rhee Wall, a 13th-century waterway, was built to carry silt away from the eastern part of the Romney Marsh; it runs from Appledore to New Romney.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Appledore, Kent, England | Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Tenterden Rural, Kent, England | Ashford District, Kent, England