- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Eastleach Martin is a village on the east bank of the River Leach in Gloucestershire, England. It is smaller than its neighbour, Eastleach Turville, which is located on the opposite bank of the river. Today, the two principal structures are the church of St. Michael & St Martin, and Eastleach House, with a formal garden and extensive grounds open to the public. Eastleach Martin was also known as Bouthrop or Burthrop.
In 1935 Eastleach Martin and part of Eastleach Turville were merged into a new parish of Eastleach. Today the village is located in the Cotswold District.
Northleach (1837 - 1935)
Northleach (1935 - 1937) (as Eastleach)
Cirencester (1937 - 2006) (as Eastleach)
Gloucestershire (2006 - ) (as Eastleach)
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Volume 6 of A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online has a chapter on Great and Little Barrington which includes references to Eastleach Turville, but not Eastleach Martin.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England