East Sheen, also known as Sheen, is a suburb of London, England in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Its long high street is also the economic hub for Mortlake of which East Sheen was once a manor. This commercial thoroughfare, well served by public transport, is the Upper Richmond Road West which connects Richmond to Putney. Sheen has parks and open spaces including its share of Richmond Park.
The area lay in the Brixton hundred of Surrey, until these [hundreds] faded into obscurity not least as these were not a major economic possession in most of the evolution of the feudal system, and became more of a unit of land used for taxation.
Manor and hamlet status
Throughout its history, East Sheen never formed an independent unit of administration and was instead included as part of the Mortlake parish which itself was not a borough. By 1900 it had developed into a secular vestry to help administer poor relief, maintain roads, ditches and other affairs. Earliest references (13th century), generally called it Westhall. Originally one carucate, it was sold in 1473 by Michael Gaynsford and Margaret his wife in the right of Margaret to William Welbeck, citizen and haberdasher, of London. "The Welbecks held it until 1587. Later owners of what remained, the Whitfields, Juxons and Taylors were equally not titled, as with Mortlake, nor had an above average size or lavish manor house."
Less established than Mortlake, 18th century texts occasionally make passing mention of the place when describing Mortlake, such as:
Development of the Temple Grove, Palmerston country estate
The southern estate of Temple Grove, East Sheen, first belonged to Sir Abraham Cullen, who was created a baronet in 1661. He died in 1668, and his son Sir John in 1677. The latter's son Sir Rushout Cullen seems to have sold the estate shortly afterwards to Sir John Temple, attorney-general of Ireland, brother to Sir William Temple, diplomat and author, who was earlier of adjoining West Sheen. It belonged to the Temples until his grandson Henry Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, politician, sold it soon after coming of age in 1805. Henry Temple, Lord Palmerston, would later would serve as Foreign Secretary three times and twice as Prime Minister. The purchaser was Sir Thomas Bernard, who rebuilt the Jacobean style front of the house shown in a drawing hung in the house of 1611. Sir Thomas sold it about 1811 to the Rev. William Pearson who founded the Temple Grove Preparatory School for boys which moved in 1907 to Eastbourne. The estate was given over to house and apartment builders as demand rose for work in the City of London and park-side London retirement properties.
It was included in the Metropolitan Police District in 1840. From 1892 to 1894 Mortlake (including East Sheen) formed part of the expanded Municipal Borough of Richmond. In 1894 nearby North Sheen was created as a civil parish, being split off from Mortlake and remaining in the Municipal Borough of Richmond. The remainder of Mortlake (including East Sheen) was instead transferred to Barnes Urban District.
In 1965 North Sheen was incorporated in Kew which, with the rest of the Municipal Borough of Richmond, joined Twickenham and Barnes Municipal Boroughs to form the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. In the wards of the United Kingdom, Sheen has the largest share of Richmond Park of its surrounding five wards.
Research Tips[[Category:Barnes, Surrey, England|]