Downham (#5 on the map) is a small village and civil parish in Essex, England. It is located approximately 11 km (6.8 mi) south of the county town of Chelmsford. The village has been part of the borough of Chelmsford since the borough's formation in 1974. However, the closest two towns are Billericay, 5 km (3.1 mi) west-south west, and Wickford, 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast, both in the Basildon district of Essex.
Downham has approximately 200 households.
In 1934 Downham ceased to be a civil parish. Its northeastern section became part of the South Hanningfield civil parish in Chelmsford Rural District and its southwestern section became part of the Great Burstead civil parish in Billericay Urban District. Since 1974 the village has been in the Billericay area of the district of Basildon.