Place:Denton (Gravesend), Kent, England

Watchers
NameDenton (Gravesend)
Alt namesDanetonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 147
Danitonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 147
TypeCivil parish, Suburb
Coordinates51.4333°N 0.4°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoStrood Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1935
Gravesend, Kent, Englandtown which absorbed Denton in 1935.
Gravesham (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is another Denton (near Dover) in Kent.

the following text is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Gravesend absorbed Milton (1914), Denton, Chalk and part of Northfleet, including Claphall, Singlewell and King's Farm (1935).

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Denton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DENTON, a parish in North Aylesford [registration] district, Kent; on the river Thames and the North Kent railway, 2 miles E of Gravesend. Post town, Chalk, under Gravesend. Acres: 1,320; of which 130 are water. Population: 101. Houses: 23. There is no church."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gravesend. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.