|Alt names||Coclestane||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 147|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Shamwell Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Strood Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Rochester upon Medway, Kent, England||district municipality which covered the area 1974-1998|
|Medway, Kent, England||unitary authority covering the area since 1998|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cuxton is a village in the unitary authority of Medway in Kent in southeast England. It lies on left bank of the River Medway in the North Downs. It is served by the A228, and Cuxton railway station on the Medway Valley Line between Strood and Maidstone. A low valley leads up from the river to the hamlet of Lower Bush.
Cuxton was a civil parish in Hoo Rural District from 1894 until 1934, in Strood Rural District from 1934 until 1974. In 1974 it became part of the Rochester upon Medway non-metropolitan district 1974-1998, and in 1998 was transferred to the Medway unitary authority. It was originally an ancient parish in the Shamwell Hundred of Kent.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Cuxton.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Cuxton, Kent, England | Shamwell Hundred, Kent, England | Strood Rural, Kent, England | Rochester upon Medway, Kent, England | Medway, Kent, England