Culverthorpe is a hamlet in the civil parish of Culverthorpe and Kelby, in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It lies 5 miles (8 km) southwest from Sleaford, 9 miles (14 km) northeast from Grantham and 3 miles (5 km) southeast from Ancaster.
The Grade I listed Culverthorpe Hall, together with its estate, farm, park and lake, was constructed in 1679 for the Newton family "in the Italian style" with later additions. In the reign of Charles II the house and estate descended to Sir John Newton, 2nd Baronet, MP for Grantham for 25 years, then to his son, another John, and then to his grandson Sir Michael Newton, Bt, ennobled as Knight of the Bath in 1725 and also MP for Grantham. On Sir Michael's death in 1743 the estate transferred to his sister, Susanna Archer, and through her to her issue and their siblings, who adopted the Newton name. The last Newton, another Michael, died in 1803, whereupon the house became untenanted. In the 20th century the estate transferred to the Dymoke branch of the family.
A chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew once stood in the hamlet, its pews later being added to the church of St. Andrew at Kelby. Ecclesiastically, Culverthorpe is in the parish of Heydour, located in South Kesteven District.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.