Heydour is a hamlet and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) south-west from Sleaford and 6 miles (10 km) northeast from Grantham. It is one in a close group of parish hamlets, the others being Kelby, Culverthorpe, Oasby and Aisby.
In 1885 the area of the original township was 3,140 acres (12.7 km2) with a population in 1881 of 363, and the parish, which included Kelby and Culverthorpe (chapleries which evolved into civil parishes), 5,140 acres (20.8 km2) with a population of 447. There existed in Heydour, since the 14th century, freestone quarries that provided the first stones for Belton House. (Source: Kelly's Directory via Wikipedia)
Kelly’s stated: "In a field west of the church are traces of a large mansion or castle, supposed to have been built in reign of Stephen by one of the Bussey family, who were seated here until about 1609". The Busseys were major landowners of the area and a branch of the same family at Hougham. When the son of John Bussey (ab.1533-1593), Sir Edmund Bussey (1562-1616), came in possession of what was then a manor house it was in a dilapidated state requiring rebuilding, and its land reorganising. The castle or manor house was tightly, socially and physically, integrated with the manor and settlement of Heydour and its parish, unlike other areas of Lincolnshire. The existence of the castle is indicated by remnants of masonry, foundations and ditch, and is a listed monument.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.