Place:Culmstock, Devon, England

Watchers
NameCulmstock
Alt namesClumestochasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 80
Clumestochesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 80
TypeParish
Coordinates50.9°N 3.267°W
Located inDevon, England
See alsoHemyock Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Culmstock Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Tiverton Rural, Devon, Englandrural district to which it was transferred in 1935
Mid Devon District, Devon, Englanddistrict municipality in which the area is located since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Culmstock is a parish near Tiverton in Devon.

From 1894 the parish of Culmstock was located in the Culmstock Rural District until 1935 when the rural district was abolished. It was transferred to the Tiverton Rural District until 1974 when it became part of the Mid Devon District.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Culmstock from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CULMSTOCK, a village, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district, in the [registration] district of Wellington and county of Devon. The village stands on the river Culme, 4½ miles ENE of Tiverton Junction [railway] station, and 7 NE of Collumpton; has a post office under Wellington, Somerset; was once a market-town; and still has fairs on 21 May and the Wednesday before Michaelmas day. The parish includes also the hamlets of Northend, Nicholshayne, Prestcott, and Upcott. Acres: 3,494. Real property: £5,582. Population: 1,102. Houses: 249. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to the bishops of the diocese; and belongs still to the dean and chapter of Exeter. Culmstock Beacon, on a lofty hill, is a well-preserved ancient structure. A considerable woollen trade was formerly carried on, but has died away. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £250. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower; and contains a small piscina and a fine altar-piece. A yew-tree grows from the wall of the tower, at about 4 feet from the embattlements. A Wesleyan chapel is in Culmstock village; and a Baptist one at Prestcott. Charities, £9.
"The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres: 20,812. Population: 4,435. Houses: 935."

Registration Districts

Research Tips

  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Devonshire Northand Devonshire South illustrate the parish boundaries of Devon when rural districts were still in existence. The maps publication year is 1931. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. These maps are now downloadable for personal use.
  • GENUKI has a new map feature on its individual Devon parish pages. Each parish page includes an outline map of parishes in the region of the one under inspection. By clicking on this map the user is taken to a blow-up of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file] provided by R. J. P. Kain and R. R. Oliver of the History Data Service of Colchester, Essex (distributed by UK Data Archive).
  • Devon County Council's Record Offices and Local Studies Libraries are being reorganized and amalgamated to form the Devon Heritage Services, comprising the Devon Heritage Centre (Exeter) and the North Devon Record Office (Barnstaple). These developments, which are described in Historical Records: A New Future for Devon's Heritage, do not affect the other major Devon archive, the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office, or the Local Studies Library, which are located in Plymouth and come under the Plymouth City Council. (Devon FHS report that Plymouth Record Office has just aquired new premises.) There is a guide entitled Which heritage centre or record office should I visit? which is provided to explain the organization further.
  • Devon Family History Society Mailing address: PO Box 9, Exeter, EX2 6YP, United Kingdom. Specialized contacts for membership, publications, queries, etc. The society has branches in various parts of the county. It is the largest Family History Society in the United Kingdom.
  • Devon has a Online Parish Clerk (OPC) Project. Only about half of the parishes have a volunteer contributing local data. For more information, consult the website, especially the list at the bottom of the homepage.
  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Devon as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes. Devon is one of the counties on the GENUKI website that has recently (summer 2015) been updated. The maps described above are just one of the innovations.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date. An index of parishes leads to notes and references for each parish.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.