|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Kirknewton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Glendale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Ewart, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955|
|Kirknewton, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Coupland is a village in Northumberland, England. It is on the north bank of the River Glen about 4 miles (6 km) to the northwest of Wooler.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coupland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
COPELAND-CASTLE, an old seat in the north of Northumberland; on the river Glen, 4¼ miles NW of Wooler. It succeeded an older seat, which belonged to John de Copeland who took David II [of Scotland] prisoner; and it was built, in 1614, by the Wallaces; and passed to the Ogles."
Coupland was a township in the ancient parish of Kirknewton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parishes of Ewart and Kirknewton.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.