|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Christleton, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cotton Abbotts has been since 2009 a civil parish south of Chester in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. In the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 3.
Prior to 1866 it was a township in the ancient parish of Christleton.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cotton-Abbotts from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "COTTON-ABBOTTS, a township in Christleton parish, Cheshire; near the Chester and Crew railway, 4 miles E of Chester. Acres: 311. Real property: £481. Population: 20. Houses: 2."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England | Christleton, Cheshire, England | Cotton Abbotts, Cheshire, England