- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Corse is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire, England, next to the village of Staunton (near Coleford). The parish lies on the tongue of land between the River Severn and the River Leadon. It is 6 miles north of Gloucester and 7 miles south-west of Tewkesbury.
St. Margarets Church is mainly 14th century. Corse Court is mediaeval. The settlement of Snig's End, in the north of the parish was the site of a settlement for industrial workers under the auspices of the National Land Company in 1847.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Corse, Gloucestershire.
Newent (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1874 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Corse from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8/Westminster hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Corse, Gloucestershire, England