|Alt names||Colinge||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 147|
|Colinges||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 147|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Shamwell Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hoo Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Strood Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Rochester upon Medway, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Medway, Kent, England||unitary authority which has covered the area since 1988|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Cooling is a village and civil parish on the Hoo Peninsula, overlooking the North Kent Marshes, 6 miles north northwest of Rochester. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 209.
This remote and isolated settlement has been described as 'the capital of English Lollardry' because of its association with Sir John Oldcastle.
Cooling was recorded in the Domesday Book when it was held by Bishop Odo of Bayeux (half-brother of William the Conqueror). The most notable surviving feature of the village is Cooling Castle, built on the edge of the marshes during the 12th century to defend the neighbouring port of Cliffe from the threat of French raiders.
Cooling was a civil parish in Hoo Rural District from 1894 until 1934, in Strood Rural District from 1934 until 1974 In 1974 it joined the Rochester upon Medway District which, in turn, became part of the Medway unitary authority in 1998. Cooling was originally an ancient parish in the Shamwell Hundred of Kent.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Cooling, Kent, England | Shamwell Hundred, Kent, England | Hoo Rural, Kent, England | Strood Rural, Kent, England | Rochester upon Medway, Kent, England | Medway, Kent, England