Place:Combe Martin, Devon, England

Watchers


NameCombe Martin
Alt namesCombasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 79
Combe-Martinsource: Family History Library Catalog
Combmartinsource: Family History Library Catalog
Cumbesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 79
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.20541°N 4.0348°W
Located inDevon, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Combe Martin is a village, civil parish and former manor on the North Devon coast about east of Ilfracombe. It is a small seaside resort with a sheltered cove on the north-west edge of the Exmoor National Park. Due to the narrowness of the valley, the village consists principally of one single long street which runs between the valley head and the sea.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Evidence of Iron Age occupation includes the nearby Newberry Castle fort. The toponym "Combe" is derived from Old English cumb meaning "wooded valley". The name was recorded as Comer in 1128. The 'Martin' suffix on the place name is from the name of the FitzMartin family, feudal barons of Barnstaple, from which large barony the manor of Combe was held. The FitzMartins held the barony following the marriage of Nicholas FitzMartin (d.1260) to Maud de Tracy, heiress of the barony of Barnstaple, until the death of his grandson William II FitzMartin in 1326 who left his two sisters co-heiresses.

There are several disused silver mines on the eastern ridge and evidence of tunnels can still be seen, as well as the remains of a wheelhouse used to lift ore from the mine. There are items in the Crown Jewels made from Combe Martin silver and a large part of the war expenses of Edward the Third and Henry the Fifth were paid for by the sale of silver mined here.

The unusual dedication of the Church of England parish church to St. Peter ad Vincula ("St. Peter in Chains") is derived from the ancient Basilica of San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome.

One of the village's unusual features is the Pack o' Cards public house built around 1700 by George Ley. Reputed to have been funded by his gambling successes, it originally had 52 windows, 13 rooms and four floors (matching the numbers from a pack of cards).

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Combe Martin. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.