- source: Family History Library Catalog
Coleford is a village in Somerset, England, situated on the Mells river in the Mendip Hills five miles west of Frome. The village has a population of 2,358 (2002 estimate).
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
COLEFORD is a hamlet of Kilmersdon, in the centre of a large and increasing population, situated in a fertile agricultural and extensive mining district, in the neighbourhood of which three large collieries have been opened during the last few years (one of which is worked to a depth of 250 fathoms), which, when fully in operation, will employ nearly 1,000 additional hands. Coal is extensively worked by tin; Westhury Iron Company, by whom it is principally used for the purpose of smelting their iron ore. The want had been long felt here and by the neighbouring colliery proprietors, of proper railway accommodation for the dispatch of their coal: in 1874 an Act of Parliament was obtained, and a company formed, called the "Nettlebridge Valley Railway Company," by whom it is purposed to construct a line of rail through the Nettlebridge Valley, which will, when completed, open the coal traffic in this mining district to a considerable extent. A scheme is in progress by the Frome Sanitary Authority, for the purpose of thoroughly draining Coleford, at a cost of £2,000, which plan will be shortly carried into effect. COLEFORD, with the hamlets Of LUCKINGTON, LIPYEATE, KlLMERSDON COMMON and HIGHBURY are formed into an ecclesiastical parish; the church was erected about 1831, soon after which the registers commence: it is a modern stone building, with gable roof, and consists of chancel and nave, quadrangular embattled tower with four pinnacles, and south entrance porch, and has clock, and 1 bell, which was brought from Fonthill Abbey. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £120, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Kilmersdon and held by the Rev. Thomas Pomeroy Leigh Yewens. The Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists have each a commodious chapel here; likewise Sunday schools, and the former a day school. A Temperance hall was erected here in 1866: it has one large room in which the Good Templars hold their meetings, it being open for lectures and occasional public meetings. A weekly newspaper is issued, entitled the 'East Somerset Telegraph' which circulates in the villages around. Newberry House is pleasantly situated, and is the seat of Mrs. Paget. The soilis rich heavy loam; subsoil, marl and blue lias stone. The area is 1,187 acres; the population of Coleford ecclesiastical parish in 1871 was 1,766.
Family History Catalog
Help fund new features!