Place:Babington, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameBabington
TypeParish
Coordinates51.253°N 2.428°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoFrome (rural), Somerset, Englandrural district in which Babington situated 1889-1974
Mendip, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district in existence since 1974 which includes Babington
source: Family History Library Catalog

Babington is a small village between Radstock and Frome, Somerset, England, which has now largely disappeared.

Contents

Historic Descriptions

1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood

BABINGTON — a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, 6 miles W. N.W. from Frome, containing 37 inhabited houses, and as many families, 8 of whom are employed in agriculture. Babington-House, the residence of Colonel Knatchbull, is pleasantly situated near the church ; and about half a mile to the south-west is Newberry-House, the residence of John Paget, Esq. The church is a neat edificej dedicated to St. Margaret, and was built in 1750. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome, Rev. Thos. R. Jolliffe, incumbent; instituted 1810. Population, 1801, 215 — 1811, 176 — 1821, 156.

1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly

BABINGTON is a straggling parish, 121 miles from London, 3 north-west from Radstock Railway station, and 5½ west-north-west from Frome railway station, 12 north-east from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Kilmersdon hundred, Frome union and county conrt district, Frome rural deanery, Wells archdeaconry, diocese of Bath and Wells, and Canterbury province. The church of St. Margaret is a modern stone building: it has a chancel nave, round tower with 1 bell, and a porch. The register dates from 1725. The living is a rectory, annual value £175, in the gift of Lord Hylton, of Ammerdown Park, and held by the Rev. John Edwin Sandys, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a district school at Coleford, at which the Babington children attend. Mrs. Long's charity of £15 yearly is for purposes of education. Coal is worked in the parish by the Vobster Coal Company. Babington House, the residence of Captain Wyndham Knatchbull, J.P., is an ancient mansion, and has been in the possession of this family for upwards of 130 years: it is pleasantly situated near the church, surrounded by handsome lawn with parterres : there are two entrances, one on the north, through a beautiful wood, by which the house is sheltered, and the other by a carriage drive: it is the property of the Rev. Wadham Knatchbull, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The land is principally pasturage for dairy purposes. The soil is lower lias clay; the subsoil is limestone and bastard freestone. The acreage is 607; rateable value, £1,618; the population in 1871 was 154.

1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade

Babington, 1 m. S. of Mells Road station. There is no village. The church dates from the reign of George II. Babington House is a mansion of some age but little beauty.

Research Tips

Online Transcriptions

Old Maps

Family History Catalog

Other Resources

Picture Gallery

Charity lane
Enlarge
Charity lane