Kilmersdon is a small village located in North Somerset between the towns of Radstock and Frome. The settlement is recorded in William I's Domesday book and dates back at least 1000 years; though the core of the village dates from the mid nineteenth century. The name Kilmersdon means 'Cynemaer's Hill'.
Kilmersdon Parish Council covers the village of Kilmersdon, Charlton, South View and Green Parlour.
1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood
KILMERSDON — a parish in the centre of the Kilmersdon hundred, 7 miles N.W. from Frome, and 10 miles S. S.W. from Bath; Containing 369 inhabited houses, and 388 families, 71 of whom are employed in agriculture, 64 in trade, manufacture, or handicraft, and 253 not included in either class. A considerable proportion of the latter number of families is employed in the coal mines, which has occasioned a great increase in the population of this parish. About a mile eastward from the village is Ammerdown, the seat of T. S. Jolliffe, Esq. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a tower at the west end. The living is a vicarage, in the deanery of Frome, and in the gift of the Crown; Rev Charles Neve, incumbent; instituted 1806. Population, 1801, 1721 — 1811, 1780 — 1821, 1991.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Kilmersdon, a village 2 m. S. from Radstock. It lies prettily in a hollow at the foot of Ammerdown Park. The church is a 15th cent. Perp. building with a lofty W. tower which forms a graceful object in the vale. The nave within and without bears traces of Norm. work. Note corbels and scale work on S. external wall, and in the interior the small Norm. window. In Perp. times the walls were raised, the old corbel-table being left in its original position. The triple panelling to the tower arch and the reduplication of the chancel arch is a little peculiar. A triangular lychgate of unusual design has lately been added to the churchyard. There is an Elizabethan communion cup dated 1566. Ammerdown House (Ld. Hylton) stands amongst the trees on the hill-side behind the village. It is an Italian mansion, designed by Wyatt. The summit of the hill above is crowned by a graceful memorial column with a glittering lantern. As the hill is 800 feet high, it is a conspicuous landmark.
Family History Catalog