- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a place named Cold Ashton (note spelling) located further west in Gloucestershire.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cold Aston (also known as Aston Blank) is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, approximately 30 km (19 mi) to the east of Gloucester. It lies in the Cotswolds, an "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty".
The village was recorded as Eastunæ between 716–43. It was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Estone, the name coming from the Old English ēast + tūn meaning "eastern farmstead or estate". By the mid 13th century, the village was known as Cold Aston. It was occasionally called Great Aston, to distinguish it from the nearby hamlet of Little Aston. From the 16th century, the name Aston Blank (redirected here) took hold, the suffix "Blank" possibly deriving from the Old French word blanc, meaning "white" or "bare". In 1972, the parish officially became known as Cold Aston again. Some think that the name "cold" is derived from the Saxon word which refers to a former settlement - in this case probably referring to a disused Roman camp or rest place for use when travelling the Fosse Way. It is fairly certain, contrary to common modern thinking, that the word "Cold" has no link to a meteorological reference.
Cold Aston is part of the Bourton on the Water ward of the district of Cotswold. The village is approximately 21 km (13 mi) east of its post town Cheltenham and about 4.5 km (2.8 mi) west of Bourton on the Water. Nearby villages include Turkdean, Notgrove, Clapton, Naunton and Lower Slaughter.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Cold Aston from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the relationship of the ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities.
- Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)