Place:Naunton, Gloucestershire, England

Alt namesNiwetonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 113
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.917°N 1.833°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoSlaughter Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish is located
Bradley Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was part located
Stow on the Wold Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1935
North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1935-1974
Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, Englandadministrative district in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is a hamlet named Naunton in the parish of Ripple, near Upton upon Severn in the neighbouring county of Worcestershire and another in the very large parish of Winchcombe, Gloucestershire near the Worcestershire border.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Naunton is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England. It is situated approximately 6 miles west of Stow on the Wold and 12 miles east of Cheltenham and stands on the River Windrush.

The population of Naunton in 2000 was 371. (This is an estimate from the year before the census.) There has probably been a settlement here for at least 2000 years. It was formerly an agrarian based community, with the customary supportive trades; there are now no shops in the village.

The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is largely 15th century but replaces an older Saxon church on the same site. It is known for two 18th century sun dials one of which is above a Latin inscription Lux Umbra Dei meaning "light is the shadow of God".

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • Naunton from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the relationship of the ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities.
  • Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Naunton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.