Cockfield is a village on the edge of Teesdale, County Durham, England. It is situated 8 miles to the south-west of Bishop Auckland, 15 miles northwest of Darlington and 40 miles southeast of Newcastle upon Tyne. Remains found on Cockfield Fell suggest there was a settlement in the area during the Iron Age. The parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, probably dates from the late 12th century.
Coal mining began in the area in the medieval period. When the South West Durham coalfield was opened in the 19th and 20th centuries the population of the village grew significantly. The last coal mine closed in 1962.
Cockfield was an ancient parish in the Darlington Ward of County Durham. The ancient parish included the township of Woodland. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Barnard Castle Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Teesdale non-metropolitan district.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cockfield from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: