Clifton Park is a suburban town in Saratoga County, New York, United States. According to the United States Census Bureau, the 2010 population was 36,705. The name is derived from an early land patent. The town is in the south part of the county and is located approximately north of Albany, northeast of Schenectady, and south of Saratoga Springs.
The first settlements in what is now Clifton Park were established in the 17th century. The town or area was named in 1707 by Nanning Harmansen. At that time Nanning Harmansen sent letters to Lord Cornbury requesting letters of Patent for Land he bought from the Native Americans known as Shenendehowa. He also stated in this correspondence that he wanted the patent to be known by "Your name of Cliftons Park", and the patent was named the Clifton Park Patent.
By 1723, the area had grown to twenty inhabitants, and was given the name of "Canastigione". The area along the Mohawk River was popular for ferries across the waterbed, with Eldert Vischer opening the crossing known as Vischer Ferry in 1783. To the northwest, Edward Rexford established Rexford Flats, a small community on the riverbank at the northern end of what became NY 146B.
In 1828, the town of Clifton Park was created as "Clifton" from the town of Halfmoon. It was the last town created in Saratoga County. The town was renamed Clifton Park in 1829. The town originally consisted of farmland with a small village of homes, churches and businesses on what is now U.S. Route 9, but, when Interstate 87 was built through the town, the population and residential and commercial areas of the town skyrocketed.