Place:Clayhidon, Devon, England

Watchers


NameClayhidon
Alt namesClayhedonsource: BHA, Authority file (2003-)
Hidonasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 79
Hidonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 79
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates50.917°N 3.183°W
Located inDevon, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is quoted from an article in Wikipedia

Clayhidon is a village and parish in East Devon. The parish church is St. Andrews. The parish is in the Blackdown Hills and lies close to the Somerset border.

end of Wikipedia contribution

UK Genealogy Archive provides this transcription from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

"Clayhidon or Clehedon, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Culm, and at the boundary with Somerset, 4 1/4 miles from Wellington station on the G.W.R., and 9 NE by E of 'Collumpton. It has a post office under Wellington; money order office, Hemyock; telegraph office, Hemyock railway station. Acreage, 4741; population, 480. The surface rises in lofty hills from the river Culm to the watershed of the Black Downs. Two estates, Culm Pyne and Old Culm Pyne, lie isolated within Hemyock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; tithe commutation, £615 with residence and glebe. The church belongs to the 14th century, consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with western tower, and contains an ancient piscina and a very ancient font. There are a small Baptist chapel and charities."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Clayhidon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.