|Alt names||Citremetona||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 79|
|Curem'tone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 79|
|Chittlehamholt||source: chapelry in the parish|
|Located in||Devon, England|
|See also||South Molton Hundred, Devon, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Chittlehampton and Chittlehamholt are two places very close together. One source states that Chittlehamholt was a chancelry of Chittlehampton, but there is another reference stating that the area of Chittlehampton had been reduced by a transfer to Chittlehamholt. They have been combined together here.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chittlehampton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHITTLEHAMPTON, a village and a parish in South Molton district, Devon. The village stands 3 miles NE of Umberleigh [railway] station, and 5 W of South Molton; and has a post office under South Molton, North Devon. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bidacott, Blakewell, Brightley, and Eastacott. Acres: 8,720. Real property: £8, 544. Population: 1, 660. Houses: 354. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the family of Rolle. Hudscott is the seat of the Heathcotes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £413. Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Rolle. The church is perpendicular English and cruciform; and contains a sculptured stone pulpit, and fine monuments to the Giffords and the Rolles. The vicarago of Chittleham-Holt is a separate charge. There are small chapels for Wesleyans and Plymouth Brethren. An ancient stone cross, on a lofty pedestal, stands about ½ a mile E of the village. Charities, £18.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chittlehamholt from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHITTLEHAM-HOLT, a chapelry in Chittlehampton parish, Devon; on the river Taw, 3½ miles SW of South Molton, and 5 E of Umberleigh [railway] station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Population: 317. The manor belongs to the family of Brown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £82. Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Rolle. The church is a modern structure in the early English style, founded by the late Lord Rolle."