Place:Chirdon, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameChirdon
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoSimonburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Greystead, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Greystead, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chirdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CHIRDON, a township in Gaystead parish, Northumberland; on a burn of its own name, an affluent of the North Tyne, 5½ miles W by S of Bellingham. Population: 60."

Chirdon was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn before 1811. In 1811 Greystead (or Gaystead), a part of Simonburn, became an ancient parish in its own right. Chirdon became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1958 was absorbed back into the civil parish of Greystead.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.