Checkendon is a village and civil parish about 6 miles (10 km) west of Henley on Thames in South Oxfordshire and about 9 miles (14 km) northwest of Reading in Berkshire on a mid-height swathe of the Chilterns.
The parish has a record of continuous settlement since the 7th century. It is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Cecadene" (Old English for "Ceaca's hill or hill-pasture"). The parish covers about 1,500 hectares (3,700 acres) and lies between 150 metres (490 ft) and 170 metres (560 ft) above sea level.
After World War II Checkendon hosted a National Assistance Board camp for Polish war refugees displaced from Middle East and Africa. The camp, located at Checkendon outskirts was opened in 1948 and offered accommodation in Nissen huts and was closed in early 60's.