|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Backford, Cheshire, England||ancient parish in which Caughall was located and with which it was merged in 1866|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Caughall has been since 2009 a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It has a population of 29.
Prior to 1866 Caughall was a township in Backford ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred of Cheshire, England. In 1866 all the townships of Backford were merged into the one Backford civil parish. The names of the townships were used when a new set of civil parishes were formed after the nationwide reorganization of municipalities in 1974.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Backford, Cheshire, England | Caughall, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England