Mollington is a small village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, It is located two miles north of the city of Chester, with approximate boundaries formed by the A41 Liverpool-Chester trunk road and Shropshire Union Canal to the east and southeast, the A540 Wirral Peninsula trunk road (Parkgate Road) to the south and west and the A5117 Dunkirk link road to the north. According to the 2001 census, the village has a population of 663. The total ward population, which includes the nearby settlements of Backford, Capenhurst, Ledsham and Wervin, was 2,077.
The village previously consisted of two separate settlements. Great Mollington was formerly known as Mollington Tarrant and was a township in the parish of Backford. It had a population of 111 in 1801, and 122 in 1851. Little Mollington (Mollington Banastre) was a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill in Wirral Hundred. Its population was 23 in 1801 and 16 in 1851. By 1900, both had been incorporated into Mollington civil parish, with a combined population of 232 in 1901 and 335 in 1951.
Mollington is characterised by tree-lined lanes with grass verges and farm land as well as sizeable family homes. It has an open, rolling and green aspect, which made it a pleasant location for the former Mollington Hall, a country house residence, now demolished. The old red-brick boundary wall of this substantial estate still remains and is now a feature of the village obvious to those who pass through. Neighbouring large houses on the edge of the village are now luxury hotels, including the Mollington Banastre and Crabwall Manor (formerly Crabwall Hall).