Cameron is a town in Steuben County, New York, United States. The population was 1,034 at the 2000 census. The town is named after Dugald Cameron, an early settler and land agent of the Pulteney Estate.
The Town of Cameron is centrally located in the county, west of the City of Corning.
Around the year 1800, the first settler arrived near the present community of Cameron. The town was formed from the Town of Addison in the year 1822. Parts of Cameron were lost on the founding of the Towns of Thurston (1844) and Rathbone (1856).
The New York and Erie Railroad line through Cameron opened in September, 1850. Today, the line is owned by the Norfolk Southern Railway. NS and Canadian Pacific (the latter under haulage arrangements)operate trains over the route.
The population of Cameron in 1905 was 1,217.