NOTE: There can be confusion between Bromley-by-Bow, often shortened to "Bromley", and the London Borough of Bromley--London's largest borough--located some 8 miles (12.9 km) to the south which was until 1965 in Kent and known as Bromley, Kent. References should always be checked to ascertain which Bromley was being described in documents and registers from earlier centuries.
The map is based on one in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, Bethnal Green from the Victoria County History Series provided by British History Online.
Bromley-by-Bow or Bromley-St. Leonard, is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1889 it was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became part of Poplar Metropolitan Borough. The Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, and became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Bromley-by-Bow, historically and officially Bromley, is a district in East London, England, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is an inner-city district situated 4.8 miles (7.7 km) east north-east of Charing Cross (a point in central London from which distances are commonly measured).
Bow itself was originally known as "Stratforde", becoming Stratford-at-Bow when a medieval bridge was built, in the shape of a bow.
The area was split from the parish of Stepney to form the parish of Bromley St. Leonard in 1536. From 1855, the civil duties of the Parish were taken over by the Poplar Board of Works. Between 1899 and 1965 the area formed the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar, within the County of London. Bromley-by-Bow has been, since 1965, a part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in the eastern part of London.
Poplar Metropolitan Borough had three parts: Bow, or Stratford-at-Bow, in the north, Poplar itself in the south and Bromley, or Bromley-by-Bow, in the middle. The eastern boundary is the River Lea which forms the boundary with West Ham in the London Borough of Newham. The former Bow Common now forms Tower Hamlets Cemetery and Mile End Park.
In 2001, according to the UK national census data, there were 11,581 people living in the ward in 2,188 households, giving an average of 2.8 people per household. Of these 51% were female, 30% were under the age of 16 and 40% were of Bangladeshi origin.