This historic market centre is one of the fastest growing towns in Oxfordshire. Development has been favoured by its proximity to junction 9 of the M40 motorway linking it to London, Banbury, Birmingham and the north. It has good road links to Oxford, Kidlington, Brackley, Buckingham, Aylesbury and Witney, as well as two railway stations on two axes; Bicester North and Bicester Village (formerly Bicester Town).
Bicester was an urban district from 1894 until 1974 and since 1974 has been in the Cherwell District. The population as at the 2011 UK census was 32,642.
Bicester has a history going back to Saxon times. Wikipedia traces the town's history from this era through Norman and medieval times. By the mid 13th century it had a market and fair and two further manors, Bury End and Nuns Place. These developed into the townships of Market End and Kings End, respectively. The two townships, which were separated by the River Bure and only combined into the civil parish of Bicester in 1932, have their own pages in WeRelate. These pages outline the differing characteristics of the townships during the period 1500-1800.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bicester. Wikipedia traces the modern evolution of Bicester in the sections beginning "Architecture".