|Alt names||Rosebank in Barnton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Saltersford in Barnton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Great Budworth, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Northwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Vale Royal District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009||
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is a condensation of an article in Wikipedia
Barnton is a civil parish and village in the north-west of England, just outside the town of Northwich, since 2009 in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire. It lies north and east of the Trent & Mersey Canal which goes through two tunnels (Barnton and Saltersford) to the west of the village.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Barnton, Cheshire.
See also Great Budworth
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Barnton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BARNTON, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Northwich; and has a post office under that town. Acres: 751. Real property: £3,052. Population: 1,219. Houses: 264.
- "The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Population: 1,431. Houses: 310. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value: £120. Patron, the Bishop. The church is good; and there are three Methodist chapels."
Barnton was a township in Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Gunners Clough (redirected to Anderton), Rosebank in Barnton and Saltersford in Barnton. The population was 402 in 1801, 1,117 in 1851, 2,792 in 1901, 3,918 in 1951, and 5,527 in 2001.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Barnton, Cheshire, England | Great Budworth, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Northwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Vale Royal District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England