Barnehurst is a town and electoral ward in South East London within the London Borough of Bexley. It lies north east of Bexleyheath, and 13.0 miles (20 km) east south-east of Charing Cross. It is separated from North Bexleyheath by the A220, Erith Road.
Barnehurst's name originates from the name of the railway station, which was so-named after Colonel Barne, who owned a local property, May Place House (and was vice-chairman of the railway company).
As in much of suburban London, Barnehurst railway station was opened to encourage building of houses. The Barnehurst Estate was built in 1926 and other building, mainly by W.H. Wedlock followed in the years after. A key landmark, just west of the station, is the Red Barn pub, a venue important to the survival of jazz in Britain immediately following the Second World War, largely due to the enthusiasm of pianist George Webb.
In 1920 the area became part of the Crayford Urban District of Kent. In 1965, under the London Government Act 1963, the urban district was abolished and its area transferred to Greater London to form part of the present-day London Borough of Bexley.