Place:Aston, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameAston
Alt namesEstonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 52
Aston-by-Suttonsource: civil parish before 1936 merger
Aston Grangesource: civil parish before 1936 merger
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.3°N 2.667°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBucklow (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which the parish was once situated
Runcorn Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1874
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Vale Royal (borough), Cheshire, Englandadministrative district in which it was located 1974-2009
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Acton, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was part until 1866
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is partly based on an article in Wikipedia and partly on the Aston page, the Aston-by-Sutton page, and the Aston Grange page in GENUKI.

Aston is a hamlet and civil parish created in 1936 by the union of Aston by Sutton with Aston Grange. The population of Aston was 244 in 1951. It is located in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 111. The village is just outside the Runcorn urban area.

Aston-by-Sutton

Aston by Sutton was a township and chapelry in Runcorn ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred and became a civil parish in 1866. In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Aston. The population was 186 in 1801, 218 in 1851, and 249 in 1901.

Aston Grange

Aston Grange was a township in Runcorn ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred and became a civil parish in 1866. In 1936 the whole of Aston Grange was added to Aston. The population was 47 in 1801, 15 in 1851, and 40 in 1901.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Aston-by-Sutton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.