Place:Astbury, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameAstbury
TypeParish (ancient)
Coordinates53.14°N 2.195°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1866)
See alsoMacclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Congleton Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which most of the area was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which part of the area was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Astbury was one of the eight ancient parishes of the Macclesfield Hundred of Cheshire, England. It included two chapelries and ten townships. The chapelry of Congleton was an ancient borough and became a municipal borough in 1835.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act 1886 it was abolished and the townships and chapelries became civil parishes in their own right. Nine of the townships became part of Congleton Rural District in 1894, but Eaton (near Congleton) became part of Macclesfield Rural District. At the same time, the Chapelry of Buglawton was made an Urban Sanitary District before being abolished in 1936. On its abolition 2,865 acres (11.59 km2) were transferred to Congleton, 32 acres (130,000 m2) to Eaton and 14 acres (57,000 m2) to North Rode.

Chapelries:

Townships:

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Astbury, Cheshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.